Friday 14 August 2015

Toddler Activities - Nature Walk with our SENSES

With my little one around, I have taken a big break from the classroom. However, the teaching hasn't stopped :) I am excited to start posting play based activities for parents and teachers of toddler aged children.

My 21 month old has really shown an interest in the sounds, smells and tastes around her. Today we went on a nature walk around the yard using our senses.

What you'll need:

  • Jar with a lid
  • Small journal
  • Pen
  • Magnify glass for extra fun :)
  • Paper
  • Glue


We got our things, pen and journal in toddler's hand, and mommy with the jar. Singing to the tune of "Going on a bear hunt", we (mommy) started singing "We're going on a nature walk, what will we find".



As soon as we stepped out of the house the birds were singing. I prompted my little one with "listen" and "what do you hear".  She shouted out, "bird"!  So we both drew a bird in our journal. As we would walk, I would prompt her with what do you hear, see, feel, smell or taste. The things we could feel we would collect in our jar.

Smelling mint

The nature walk ended in some blackberry bushes while we used our favorite toddler sense of TASTE! Mommy also got stung by a bee. Very exciting ending.

Eating berries

We completed the activity by making a collage from the collectables in our jar. I was a bit hesitant to bring out the paint because my toddler is notorious for ingesting art supplies. It was a hit and nothing went in the mouth!



No comments:

Post a Comment