Thursday 29 August 2013

Expected and Unexpected Behavior


At the beginning of every year I read aloud You are a Social Detective, by Michelle Garcia Winner and Pamela Crooke. After being introduced to this book by the special needs teacher at my previous school, I used it only with my students who had difficulties in social settings. Then I realized, all children can benefit from the detailed picture stories in this book, and it became a go to book through out the year. I use this book to introduce rules in my classroom and what expected and unexpected behavior sounds and looks like. The kids love the pictures in this story! After we read aloud the first two sections, we discuss social scenarios and if the behavior is expected or unexpected. The whole activity leads children to understand that their actions affect all of those around them. They begin to be true social detectives thinking about what others are feeling about.

No comments:

Post a Comment